I’m not sure the title of this post is correct. In fact, this was actually written a couple of days ago over a week ago and it (the title) changed a couple of times.
Here’s where my head’s at. You see, I’ve been riding my bike through Manito Park now for about 3 years. Summer through winter and there’s been one very consistent item that till recently has been kinda bugging me.
In the road, directly in front of the Park Bench cafe there is a water main that has been leaking. It’s been leaking steadily for every day of these 3+ years that I have been riding by.
Honestly, for a while I would get all indignant, grumbling things about water wastage and such. Then recently I put some thought into it. This is what I came up with…
- Is the City paying for the water wastage? (basically is some of our tax money washing down the road?)
- Where is that water going?
- When is The Scoop going to serve beer?
- No the city isn’t paying for the loss. Now this can be argued through a bunch of different levels with the ultimate answer being, yes the city is paying for that water. But I’m referring to the simpler expedient of “fast” cash out.
- This is the one that got to me. At first I was worried about the waste all that water. Then I really *did* think. Um that water is going right back into the aquifer, so it’s kinda making a circle.
- Um, never It’s right freeking next to an elementary school. Duh! (pesky kids!)
Let’s make it ever more murky. So, the city decides it wants to fix it. The road in our beautiful park right in front of our wonderful little cafe gets torn up and then replaced. What little traffic goes through there is snarled and patronage of the cafe comes to near halt due to parking issues, noise and bad smells. Not only that, we (the tax payers) are paying for the repairs and the city loses revenue (from the cafe).
So now I say leave the dang thing alone unless/until it begins to seriously undermine the road and/or impacts local water pressure.
Just my two cents.
Jacque – Out